MSc in Agricultural Biotechnology
Specialization: Plant biotechnology
The rapid development of biological sciences and the wide use of complex technologies in the plant industry necessitate the education of specialists who are able to transform the achievements of the basic sciences into practically useful technologies and products in everyday agricultural and horticultural practice. They will contribute to the effort to provide the required amount of quality food for the world’s growing population using environmentally friendly technologies. In addition, MSc graduates in Agricultural Biotechnology will have the know-how development of new plant products, such as e.g. functional foods, pharmacologically active substances and new industrial raw materials for the market.
Agricultural biotechnologists are prepared for this role by being given a well-founded knowledge of natural sciences as well as of agricultural technologies, and by being taught laboratory skills. The MSc course is full-time and lasts for 4 semesters. During the first two semesters students acquire theoretical knowledge of basic sciences (organic chemistry, biochemistry, genetics, plant physiology and microbiology) and of molecular biology. In addition they get a thorough training in basic laboratory techniques. In the last two semesters the emphasis is laid on the preparation of a thesis, i.e. on individual scientific work. This is accompanied by introducing the students to the latest developments in specialized fields of plant biotechnology.
MSc graduates will be able to work in agricultural research, in agricultural administrative or executive positions, or as specialists in a variety of agricultural production technologies, such as e.g. quality control, the seed industry, development and controlling of micropropagation and GMO technologies, protection of cultivars, diagnostic methods or environmental safety.
Education is running as full time course.
The study period is 4 semesters.
The Agricultural Biotechnologist are able to
- apply modern biotechnological processes, genetic engineering, and accomplish development engineering tasks
- carry out biotechnological research, deepen their knowledge and apply the newest methods in plant cultivation, horticulture and animal husbandry
- fill expert and counselling positions in state administration, at different international organisations, in the Chamber of Agriculture, and cooperatives
- identify professional problems and provide solutions and carry out planning, development and research tasks
- comply and accomplish research and development programmes, projects and tenders requiring engineering expertise.
Requirements for entering the program
For foreign citizens:
- academic BSc/MSc or equivalent degree in agricultural/life or related sciences;
- English language (reading, writing, speaking, listening) knowledge.
Canditates are expected to have basic science knowledge (demonstrated in the transcript) in life sciences, natural resources, agriculture, economics. Based on the credits of the applicants obtained in former graduation, additional maximum 24 credits from missing disciplines may be required during the study.
Also eligible are applicants who will have completed a suitable degree by 31 July 2017, so that by the time of their enrollment they can present their diploma.
Candidates from countries where English is not the language of instruction need to have an internationally accepted English exam: TOEFL iBT min. 65, PBT 500, CBT 200 or IELTS at least a score of 5,5 or Cambridge CAE Certificate). These can be replaced by documentation of at least 2 years closed higher education study in an English program.
For Hungarian citizens: identical with that of the Hungarian language teaching form
Shedules of the selection procedure
For foreign citizens:
- Deadline for sending the application package: 14th April
- Deadline of sending the application fee (100 EUR): 28 April
- Notification on admission/rejection/sending of the „Contract for Tuition” (e-mail): 15 May
- Deadline for sending back the ”Contract for Tuition” and payment of fee for the first 2 semester (3600 EUR): 30 May
- Confirmation of the registration and possible start of visa application: after arriving the fee (at latest till 30 June)
- Start of courses: Beginning of September 2017
In individual cases of application later then the above shedule, the process can be accelerated. However, for enrollment, in any case we need the arrival of „Contract for Tuition” and the tuition fee at latest till 14 July 2017.
For Hungarian citizens: identical with the application procedure for the Hungarian language teaching form.
Milestones of the study
- Semesters: Mid September – Mid December
- Exams: Mid December – End January
- Firm practice: 4 weeks after the 2nd semester
- Final exam: June of second year
Tuition fee: 1800 EURO/ semester (2 semesters must be paid in advance)
Includes the expenses of education and practices, using libraries, computers and internet at the Faculty rooms; all the advantages of a Student Card. The tuition fee does not include local travel, board, insurance, accomodation.
The fee of application procedure 100 EUR (paid in by 28 April, will be refund from the 2nd year’s tuition fee).
Accomodation and living expenses in Budapest: appr. 400-500 EURO/months.
Application package includes
- application form (word.doc);
- diploma of previous studies (official English translation);
- detailed demonstration of former studies (English diploma supplement or official English copy of learning documents demonstrating the obtained credits and skills);
- motivation letter in English;
- copy of passport with photo;
- documents demonstrating English skills.
Documents should be posted to the following address (sending the documents electronically does not substitute sending them also in originals!):
Szent István University
Faculty of Horticultural Science
H-1118 Budapest, Villányi str. 29-43., Hungary
Further information: email@example.com