Short historical overview of the horticultural education

Short historical overview of the horticultural education

The history of the university begins in 1853, when Dr. Ferenc Entz, a medical doctor, established the School for Practical Gardening. The school came to its present location in 1876. In 1894, it was raised to the rank of Royal School of Horticulture, with three years of training.

From that time on, the level of training at the Institution has been continuously developing and changing, along with its structure and name, as follows:

  • 1939: the Institution became the Hungarian Royal Academy of Horticulture
  • 1943: reorganised to Hungarian Royal College of Horticulture and Viticulture
  • 1945: operated as the Faculty of Horticulture and Viticulture of the centralised University of Agricultural Sciences.
  • 1953: became independent again, as the College of Horticulture and Viticulture
  • 1963: Landscape Architecture, until that times a part of general horticultural studies, became a separate Section; graduates received the diploma of "Horticultural Engineer"
  • 1968: raised to the level of University of Horticulture
  • 1969: the Food Industry Section was established
  • 1971: a new College Faculty of Horticulture was established in the town of Kecskemét
  • 1972: organisation of two separate faculties in Budapest: the Faculty of Horticulture (with the Horticultural Production and Landscape Architecture Sections), and the Faculty of Food Industry (from the former Food Industry Section)
  • 1986: the Institution changed again to the University of Horticulture and Food Industry, comprising training and education for the entire food industry; the Higher School of Food Industry in the town of Szeged (Southern Hungary) was attached as the College Faculty of Food Industry
  • 1992: the previous Landscape Architecture Section was developed, Protection and Development, to an independent Faculty of Landscape Architecture
  • 2000: The Faculty of Horticultural Science belongs to the Szent István University  with the other two Faculties (Faculty of Food Science and Faculty of Landscape Architecture, Protection and Development). The above mentioned three faculties form the Buda Campus of the Szent István University.
  • 2003: The Faculty of Horticultural Science belongs to the Budapest University of Economic Sciences and Public Administration with the other two Faculties (Faculty of Food Science and Faculty of Landscape Architecture, Protection and Development).
  • 2004: Corvinus University of Budapest Faculty of Horticultural Science
  • 2016: Szent István University Faculty of Horticultural Science